Power Washing Your Pool Area
The team at Elite Power Washing has some tips to help you get your pool ready for a summer of fun. Summer fun is right around the corner and it’s time to get your pool ready to go. On a hot summer’s day, we all look forward to plunging into the clean, bright blue water. There’s nothing worse than running for a swim to find it green, murky and dirty.
What is Your Pool Made Of?
If your pool is made of vinyl or fiberglass power washing it is not a good idea. These pools need to be cleaned with chemicals or non-abrasive cleaners. However, if it is concrete, plaster or exposed aggregate power washing is going to make the job of cleaning the pool a lot easier. Here’s how to get it done easily:
- Check with your local council regarding any environmental concerns. The water being drained has pool chemicals and should be disposed of properly.
- Completely drain the pool.
- Sweep out any remaining water and debris with a broom.
- Cover any electrical components.
- Use your pressure washer to spray the sides and bottom of the pool with a spray of water.
- Apply the cleaning solution to the bottom and up the sides of the pool. Do not allow the pool to dry with the detergent applied.
- Rinse the pool walls starting from on the sides, working from the top and moving downward. Then the bottom of the pool.
- If you have algae stains try using the turbo nozzle.
- If there is a lot of algae on the walls apply an algaecide to prevent it from coming back. Allow the algaecide to soak 10 minutes and do its job. Then rinse with plenty of clear water.
- If your pool still has some stains apply another round of detergent, then rinse again.
- Either a gas or electric pressure washer should do a good job. Just be sure to use the correct detergent for your pool.
Cleaning Your Pool Deck
Bacteria and algae can build up on your pools deck area causing the deck area to become slippery and create a fall hazard. Use your pressure washer to keep the deck area clean and disinfected. Here’s how:
- Sweep the deck area clean of any leaves and debris.
- Mix your deck cleaning solution, or make your own homemade cleaner by using 8 parts water to 1 part bleach and 1 part soap. Mix it well. (Never run any bleach solution through your power washer as it can ruin the tank and seals)
- Working in sections splash some of the detergent onto the deck pool area and scrub it with a brush or broom.
- Use your power washer to rinse the area off.
- To protect your deck and make your cleaning last longer, apply a sealant to the pool deck area.
Cleaning Pool Deck Pavers
- Clean the deck pavers using the directions above for the deck cleaning.
- Or, you can power wash the pavers, then apply muriatic solution to clean them, scrub and rinse.
How to Clean a Wooden Pool Deck
- You can use the same process shown for a concrete deck.
- The one exception is not to use too much bleach as it can affect the color of the deck’s wood.
- Scrub the wood with a good detergent, then remove with a power wash.
Call Us If You Need Help
If your anxious to get into your pool and need help getting it ready your Elite Power Wash team is ready to come to your aid. Just give us a call for an appointment and we’ll be over.